Sometimes, life can get pretty crazy, and feels as though it’s moving at warp speed! So understandably, fun activities with the family sometimes get pushed to the side for school, work and extracurriculars. Luckily, family day is just around the corner! The Tri-Cities area is brimming with fun activities your whole family can enjoy together! Keep reading for a list of things to do in the area on Family Day weekend this year.
Harry Potter Day at Inlet Theatre
This Family Day, how about taking your kids on an out of the box adventure, like stepping into the Wizarding World of Harry Potter?! On February 16th, from 1:30-3:30 pm, take part in the many mystical activities planned by the Port Moody Public Library for Harry Potter day at Inlet Theatre! There will be wand making, a potions class, and even trivia, as the houses compete against each other! Are you a Gryffindor or a Slytherin? Find out on the 16th! Tip: if you’ve been thinking of starting the Harry Potter series with your children, this would be a great way to gain their interest! This event requires registration, call 604-469-4577 to do so.
If you’ve read our blog before, you know we’re big advocates for spending time outside with family! On Saturday, February 16th, a great way to get outside with your crew is Spark Park, an event from 10am-2pm at Town Centre Park in Coquitlam! There will be many exciting activities, including apple tasting, collecting materials to make a natural Fairy Garden, a Seed Swap, and a pop up library! All ages are welcome, so this is an event the whole family can take part in!
Drop Ins At Your Local Community Centre
People often forget about community centres when they think of holidays, but there are many drop in programs of all different categories in Tri-Cities that are specifically for Family Day Weekend! To name just a few:
- A Day at the Circus Family Day: Summit Community Centre (Feb 15th 1-3pm)
- Open Gym for Family: Centennial Activity Centre (Feb 16th 1-3pm)
- Family Day Yoga: Smiling Creek Activity Centre (Feb 17th 10-11am) or Poirier Sports & Leisure Complex (Feb 17th 3-4pm)
- Swimming for Families: City Centre Aquatic Complex or Poirier Sports & Leisure Complex (Both Feb 18th 1-3pm)
- Family Day Toonie Skate: Poirier Arts & Leisure Complex (Feb 18th 12-1:30, 1:45-3, 6-8pm)
Any one of these activities would be a great way to spend some family time, while also getting exercise too! A perfect combo in our opinion! Click here for a list of community centres offering drop ins in Coquitlam, here for Port Moody, and here for Port Coquitlam.
Taking Your Whole Brood on a Family Day Walk:
Often times, the best way to reconnect with family is simply getting together and taking a walk outside in fresh air! Talking, strolling, perhaps stopping for a picture or a snack, it’s the simple things that can be most pleasant. For a list of trails in the Tri-Cities area, check out our blog from a few weeks ago Whether you’re after a hike or a leisurely stroll, you’ll find something that works for your family for sure!
Enjoy A Meal Out At Some Awesome Family-Friendly Neighbourhood Restaurants:
Dining out with young kids can be stressful, but often times all it takes to relieve some of the stress is to choose family friendly restaurants that encourage and welcome your whole bunch! Here are out top choices for family friendly restaurants in Tri-Cities:
- Willey’s Galley – Kid friendly, awesome staff, yummy food!
- Omega Cafe – Fast service, great food, encouraging of guests big and small!
- The Big Flat Pancake Co. – Perfect for a yummy Family Day breakfast of pancakes out with the kids!
Lunch and Dinner:
- The Coquitlam Grill – A cozy and casual vibe perfect for a big family meal, plenty of variety for the kids!
- Milestone’s Barnett Highway – It’s called “Milestones” for a reason! Celebrate Family Day with them and your whole gang!
- Lougheed Wonton Restaurant – take your kids out for some yummy Chinese food! The best kind of food for family style meals
- Spacca Napoli Pizzeria – this place is family run, so you know they don’t mind if you bring yours!
Dessert & Treats – It’s Family Day after all!
- Rocky Point Ice-cream – delicious artisan ice cream that parents and kid alike can enjoy!
- Casa Dolce Gelato & Chocolate – ice cream, chocolate, gelato, desserts – you made have some kids in a sugar coma after this!
- Marble Slab Creamery – A fun twist where you can add amazing toppings and treats to ice cream!
- Crepe Delicious – Something different and delicious!
- Dairy Queen – you can never go wrong with a classic.
So there you have it, Tri-Cities! A comprehensive list of exciting and fun activities taking place over Family Day weekend! Any of these activities would be a great choice, but really, in the end, it’s not what you do, it’s who you’re with! Happy Family Day Tri-Cities!